Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Kitty Girl

We have a new family member, who we met in October. I have to admit, we have not been good furbaby parents to her. It has been a difficult adjustment period for her, and the adjustment is far from over. She needs far more attention than we have been giving her. I think we've finally gotten into a decent routine over the last month or so, where she is getting maybe a tad less attention than she needs, but enough that she is making some progress, and feeling more comfortable here. Today was a great day for her.

A little history here...Kaluah Kitty came from my friend, Nancy. Nancy was moving into an apartment, and couldn't afford the pet deposit. She left her kitty at the old house with her ex husband for awhile, but kitty was getting no love, beings that no one was really staying at the old house except a couple times a week. Kitty needed a family. So, she came here. Now, before she joined our family, Kaluah was a huntress. She came and went as she pleased, and she brought her Other Mommy wondrous gifts on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Kaluah Kitty has been afraid to go outside since she has been here. I opened the door one day awhile back when the weather was nice, and she promptly jumped off my lap and ran. I was sad for kitty.

Well, today I decided to try it again. The last thing I want is to frighten her, but I do want to keep giving her small challenges so that she can slowly feel more like family here. So, after a lovely nap, I picked her up, and cuddled and cooed while I slowly walked out to the dining room. I had already opened the back door. I stopped in the dining room so that she could see that I had opened the door. She was curious, but not freaked out. So, I slowly stepped over the threshhold and sat down on the stoop. I held her and talked to her for a good 5 minutes before she slowly and tentatively made her first steps.

I was so proud of her! She went exploring for the first time! She was very timid, and when I tried to sneak inside to get my camera, she ran. But she slowly came back out again when I sat on the stoop. I was able to get some good pictures of her first foray into The Outdoors. Enjoy!

This is the kitty running back in the house when I got my camera.

Exploring.

If you look really closely, you might be able to just see the outline of the Kitty in the jungle that is our yard.

And here she is reminiscing after her travels.

1 comment: