Thursday, March 12, 2009

Adoptees


The issue of adoption has been a subject of intense study for me over the last few years. My husband and I are "former" prospective adoptive parents. Until a few weeks ago, we had planned to adopt via the state's special needs (i.e. foster care) program. Those plans have been put on hold, but will most likely not be resumed, for various reasons. But that's not my point. My point is that over the last few years, I spent a LOT of time reading and researching about adoption from the point of view of the children I meant to raise. And the best source of information I've ever been able to find has been from adult adoptees.

Some things I've learned, in no particular order:

Adoptees in the USA do not have access to their own birth certificates, except in six states
The sealing of birth information is a rather new occurrance, having begun in the 1930's
The original purpose behind sealing these records was NOT to protect the original parents (in other words, "birth" parent privacy is a myth...no "birth" parent has ever been guaranteed privacy)
Access to records of one's birth is a RIGHT for all other American citizens - just not for adoptees. Why should they have less rights? What have they done wrong to be denied the rights the rest of us have?

This is just scratching the surface, but I wanted to throw out a few bits of information that don't seem to be widely known or understood outside of those involved with the fight for adoptee rights.

And on that note, I'll explain that poster I have up at the top of this post. Last year, a group of adoptees gathered in New Orleans to talk to legislators about opening records so that adoptees will have the same rights as all other American citizens, and they're doing it again this year. Every human being should have access to their own information. It should be a human right - not a non-adoptee right. Please help my friends, and support the Adoptee Rights Demonstration. Here are some ways you can help:

Donate
Write a letter
Spread the word
Share the video

If you're interested in more information about closed records, here are some helpful links:

The Adoptee Rights Demonstration
The Basic Bastard
Adoption History: Confidentiality and Sealed Records

And if you go through the blogs I've subscribed to (and wade through all the coupon ones, lol), you will find some awesome blogs written by adoptees and first mothers. I'll add onto this tomorrow with more links.

No comments:

Post a Comment