Saturday, March 7, 2009

SARK


My friend, Gloria, turned me on to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy, aka SARK. Even if you've never heard of her before, chances are you've seen her inspirational posters in doctor's offices, teacher's lounges or classrooms, counseling centers, and other places. But I didn't truly "discover" SARK until I read her books. I have read, so far, Succulent Wild Woman, The Bodacious Book of Succulence, and Living Juicy (which is always a work in progress - this one is a daily meditation type book, and I love that I can just pick it up and read a page or two every now and then, and not lose my place). I love calling her inspiration line (415-546-3742) for a pick me up (it's a recorded message, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). She changes the message very infrequently, but even when I've listened to the same one 15 times, it doesn't get old.

The first time I picked up one of SARK's books, I just cried and cried. I felt like she was reaching directly into my soul and pulling out threads that match the colors of her own soul. I felt this sense of, "do you see how we are similar? Do you feel that we are all one?" It really awakened me to the reality that we all have similar feelings...but we've been taught to hide and suppress those feelings that aren't pretty. SARK has been a huge inspiration to me - to refuse to be silenced, to refuse to put a pretty face on my un-pretty emotions, to embrace my faults, and to allow others to be faulty without needing to fix them. Of course, I'm a work in progress, but I embrace that, too.

I feel like giving myself a great big hug right now. Why don't you do the same? Just wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze like the dickens! You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment