Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chili Rerun

Still whittling down those huge posts. I think this is the last one, but I'll have to check.

Ok, now on to the chili. Since I messed around with this recipe so much, I'm not going to put the actual recipe up, I'm just going to explain what I did. I soaked enough beans last night to make both recipes (the other was Cabbage Steup), so I threw in the beans, dried veggies (the ones I'm using up), a packet of chili seasoning (or you can use cumin, pepper, chili powder, and salt), and one onion before my first picture was taken:
Then I added 2 cans of diced tomatoes:
And some water (about a cup, give or take), mixed it all up, and set it to cook, too (should cook for 6-8 hours):
This recipe could easily be doubled even in my little crock pot...I just keep forgetting to actually do it.

I forgot to mention, we're "mostly" vegetarian, so instead of ground beef, I'll be adding TVP to the chili later on. You can add ground beef or whatever meat you want to this. The recipe I used that had ground beef in it was not for the crock pot, so I don't know whether you should add raw ground beef at the beginning, or cook it separately and add it at the end.

Thanks to Casey for letting me know I need to explain what TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) is. Have you ever seen those "veggie crumbles" in the grocery store freezer section? Morningstar farms has them in a green bag. They are YUMMY! And they are made from TVP. But you can also buy TVP in the bulk section and flavor it yourself.

The chili is done! Yippee! We decided to have the chili over baked potatoes with some cheese, and it is GOOOOOOOD. Funny, though...I forgot to add the TVP...oh well, it's still delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment