Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Making "Yarn"

I've had these two sheets hanging around my house forever. I kept trying to use them until the holes in the middle of them became a nuisance during sleep. (It always scared me a little when I'd hear a ripping sound in the middle of the night, and I'd have to take a second to wake up and figure out what it was.) I asked for some suggestions for what to do with the sheets, and one of the suggestions was to crochet them into a rug. That was my favorite idea. ;-) First step: make the yarn.

So, here's the sheet pile I started with (does that sound gross to anyone else?):
The first thing I did was to rip out the seams at the ends of the sheet. It was pretty easy. I cut the first couple threads, and then just stuck my fingers in and ripped.
Then I made small cuts along the end of the sheet:
And I ripped the sheet into 1- 1 1/2 inch strips (this part is very sneeze-inducing). This is what I ended up with:
Not quite as impressive when rolled up into balls:
And there you have it. Sheet yarn. I was pretty distressed once I got to this point because I realized that I didn't bring one of my millions of size N crochet hooks with me to Shannon's. I keep needing them, not having them with me, and buying an extra, so I have tons of them. May as well just put one in every bag I own and call it good, eh? That way I'll always have one on hand. Anyway, I'll be starting my sheet-yarn rug soon, and I'll blog about it when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment